Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast."



Sunday, January 22, 2012

Canvas

The sermon series at our church (Crossbridge) has been incredible and at times left me speechless at how our preacher has allowed God's truth to be spoken through Him so that we as a church can hear the words and scripture God needs us to hear.

The sermon series is called Canvas.  Our preacher has been talking about allowing God to paint our life story and how we can align our lives as Christians with how God is trying to move in us instead of taking control.  It has been powerful and words I have needed to hear.

The first sermon, our pastor (Kirk) started off by having a painter come and paint this elaborate picture and towards the middle of the sermon he filled his hands with black paint and smeared the picture and said that the black paint represented our sin and how are sin messes up the plans God has for our lives.  Though, because of Christ and the price He paid on the cross we find life and hope through Christ and can be reconciled to Him and yield our life to God and the plans He has for us.  WOW!!! ... my God did that all for ME, all for US.  When Kirk described the sermon that way and lined it up with an illustration I was amazed.  I was amazed that God can love me that much (faults and all) and still use my life to tell a beautiful story.  It is incredible knowing that no matter what life you have lived or the sins you have committed, God wants to use each one of us... we just have to give ourselves to God and become His child so that the Spirit can move in and through us!

During this sermon series, I have been reflecting on times in my life when I have tried to paint some of my canvas and only give God certain parts He can paint.  I know this brought sorrow to God because I was not releasing my whole life to Him, but it is hard to let go (at least for me).  Though, even when I held on to parts of the story God still gained greater glory and showed me that He can paint a way better story than I can ever fathom.  SO... with all that said... this sermon series has caused me to reflect and try the best I can to give everything over to God.  Because I want to allow God to transform me to be more like Him; I yearn for God to shape my character to be more like Him.

I am tired of worrying (especially right now with all the uncertainties in my life). I want God to paint so that I can just step back and smile at His magnificent work -- because in the end His picture will always be more beautiful than mine.  So I am going to try my best to give it all to Him because trying to paint a couple strokes and allowing God to paint a couple is getting exhausting and I am tired of trying to out paint God because in the end He always knows best for me and my life.

So, I write this on here to keep myself accountable and to share how God is moving through me right now because I do not want to forget.  I want to remember how this sermon series has made me feel and made me realize to step back and just allow God to paint and stand in awe of the magnificent plans He has for my life.

This is just where I am at and I hope this causes people to stop and think...

God is painting a picture on a canvas larger than the universe, and I am allowing myself to align my life with it and the plans God has for me.

I pray that I do not paint my own canvas any longer, but I allow myself to be reconciled to God so He can paint my canvas for me.

What are you painting on your canvas -- are you painting or is God?

Romans 11: 33-36 -- "Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God!  How unsearchable are his judgements and how inscrutable his ways! "For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?" "Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?"  For from him and through him and to him are all things.  To him be glory forever. Amen."'

No comments:

Post a Comment