Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast."



Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Help.

My life became complete today (ok nothing as special as getting married or anything like that)... BUT, I finally got to see the movie, The Help with a dear friend of mine, Shavaun.  We (Reagan and I) had lunch with Eric and Shavaun today after church and we had planned on going to a movie we could all see but the husbands had a different plan.  We went on a girl date movie and the guys got an action packed movie.  Shavaun and I were completely fine with seeing our girlie movie without them... we had heard awesome reviews from other women so we couldn't wait to rate the movie for ourselves!  Shout out to Eric and Shavaun... thank you so much for opening our eyes to a delicious new sandwich shop, spending the day with us and just hanging out with us.  It was great to have not only couples time but guys and girls time. Love y'all both to the moon and back!

Let me just start off by saying, I will be buying this movie when it comes out on DVD.  It was such an incredible movie and it did the book great justice.  If you have not read the book, I highly recommend it... you will laugh and cry throughout the whole book.  I did not cry in the movie today but there were several places I got choked up (I was surprised I held my tears in.... I usually can't, but I think I was just so focused on the movie that my eyes never left the screen and I was too focused to be crying.. LOL!).  Though, I will say there were tons of women crying and laughing so loud in the theatre, and there were also older men who were also enjoying every bit of the movie... we had an older man sitting behind us and he cried through several parts of the movie -- we think it brought back old memories for him, which was super touching for me.

When the movie was done, I heard an older couple say out loud "Wow, they did an incredible job of portraying how life was back then."  It just made me stop and think and really re-evaluate how others should be treated, and it broke my heart to think that people back then were treated so wrongly because of the color of their skin.  Race nor color should matter how we treat others, and it definitely does not matter in God's eyes... so I think we could all work on being less judgmental to those who are not like "us." It makes me think of the song I used to sing in Sunday school... "Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world, red and yellow, black and white, they are all precious in His sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world."  With this song in mind, I want to work on being even better at loving people like Jesus loves.  It is so easy to get caught up in the world, and make judgements and stereotype people based on what society thinks.  There is NOTHING that makes us better than anybody else... God loves us all the same.  This movie really helped me remember these key things today... that I need to show compassion to all and LOVE like Jesus loves-- if we all stopped and did this more often the world would be such a better place and people would truly see what it means to be a Christian... Just food for thought since my mind is going crazy with thoughts tonight!

So with all that said, that is what I took away from the movie today, and the book even hit me harder-- it all really touched my heart and made me re-evaluate things. I love books and movies that stop and make you think.  Seriously though, Read the book and watch the movie and then read the book again and watch the movie yet again.... it is just that good!!!

the-help.jpg

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! School starts tomorrow! I am off to bed so I can be ready for those sweet little ones tomorrow! Hope everyone has a fabulous Monday :)

Mark 10:14 -- "Let the children come to me, Don't stop them!  For the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."

No comments:

Post a Comment