Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast."



Saturday, July 10, 2010

Selfless

Last night Reagan and I did not have much to do, or maybe we just didn't have the willpower to go and do anything.  He got home late from running errands and trying to get the AC in his car fixed.  All day yesterday I could not seem to get motivated -- I was having a lazy day listening to the rain, reading my book and not wanting to cook dinner. So when he walked in the door at 7pm  I had nothing ready for dinner... oops. Luckily we had leftover lasagna so he had that, and I snacked -- I just was not really hungry for anything. 

Last night we also had the talk about what part time job would be best for him, it was a hard talk but one that needed to be had.  Currently he just received a job with Carmax and will start working with them Monday, but he also has some other job interviews later this month so he is also going to go to those to see if there is anything better out there-- we both agreed this was a very wise decision.

So after he finished his dinner, I finished snacking, and our convo was over we both decided we would spend our Friday night at the gym working out since both of us had planned to go but never got around to it.  I wasn't too thrilled that we were working out on a Friday night but it turned out to be really good. Once we were done working out we headed back home in the rain --- Reagan made his protein shake and I started snacking again, I just didn't have an appetite. Once we were both showered and cleaned up from the gym we came to the living room and started lounging. 

Earlier in the week Reagan and I had talked about how we really wanted to start making a better effort at reading the Bible together.  So last night was our first attempt since we had gotten married and it went beautifully. Reagan decided that we should start by reading the book of Philippians- which is one of my favorite books in the Bible.  Last night we read chapter one which was talking about Paul praying for the people of Philippi.  All throughout this chapter it was so evident that Paul was so selfless.  He was praying in prison for others, not worrying about the situation he was in.  He was making sure that God was glorified in everything he did.  That was incredible to me!  I tried to think how many times I pray selflessly for the people I love --- it is hard, because I always seem to pray for the things I need or for my family, instead of praying on behalf of those who God places on my mind.

As we finished our Bible time together I told Reagan that I want to learn to become more selfless -- whether that be in prayer, daily life, or in my character.  I told him I really wanted to capture some of the characteristics Paul had for his own life.

So my challenge is that we all take a look at our lives, evaluate whether we are really living our lives in a way that brings complete Glory and Honor to God --- and then in everything you do; prayer, character, actions -- be selfless and bring all the Praise back to God for giving you another day to share the amazing things He has done.

"When you allow yourself to come out of your comfort zone, you begin to see miraculous changes happen in the lives of others you love."

No comments:

Post a Comment