Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast."



Sunday, March 27, 2011

Roadtrip to Austin

So this past Friday, me and my best friend Hannah headed on our road trip to Austin.  Though, first things first, we had to meet in Fort Worth to get our McKinley's fix (this was a tradition we had when we lived together at TCU every Friday)!  To say the least having McKinley's together is so good for the soul!!  Going to Austin was not for a happy reason (we both knew tears would be shed, in light of celebrating such a beautiful life)... we went for our sweet friend Jillian and her family who their sister and daughter died (I spoke about this beautiful family in an earlier post).  Heading down to Austin for the memorial, it was so nice to catch up with Hannah and just really get to talk (the two of us and no other distractions).  I miss this sweet girl so much, so I cherished the time we had together!

Once we got to Austin on Friday afternoon, we met my mom and her best friend, Kim for dinner at Guerros taco shop.  I would have enjoyed dinner a lot more that night if allergies had not taken over me and made me feel like total crap!  Though, I will say NyQuil pm and Vick's vapor rub became my best friends that night just so I could breathe! 

Saturday was the day of the memorial... so we got up, had yummy Chick-fil-a for a late breakfast/early lunch and then we got ready for the memorial.  Let's just say in light of being in Austin for a not so happy situation, Kim and Hannah are two peas in a pod and had us laughing the whole weekend.  The memorial for Sara was absolutely beautiful.  There were so many friends and family members there to support the Marshall family and it overwhelmed my heart.  It was so beautiful for me to hear all the incredible things that everyone had to say about Sara.  I was moved to tears to hear Jillian, Mrs. Marshall, and Mr. Marshall talk about their most favorite memories with Sara and the things they loved the most about her.  They had such strong faith on Saturday, and I knew that so many people were lifting them up in prayer and that they received the comfort from God that they needed to be able to make it through the day.  Their strength and courage as a family is unwavering, but most of all their faith in God to walk them through the next weeks and months is unshakable. 

Saturday at Sara's memorial was such a beautiful reflection of life for me.  It reminded me how each day is not our own, and that we must live each day to it's fullest honoring God in all things. As I was leaving the memorial, I hugged sweet Jillian... (all I could do is cry at this point and tell her how much I loved and cherished her as a friend) and Mrs. Marshall... though something Mrs. Marshall said to me that day will always stay with me.  She gave me such a big hug and told me eyes filled with tears, "As I was speaking and starting to get choked up I looked up and saw you sitting there in the balcony.  Just seeing you gave me the strength to finish."  She then thanked me for allowing God to speak through me in all the years I have known her daughter, Jillian and for the comforting words of prayer and scripture I had provided their family with through this difficult time in their life.  I looked at her and all I could do was cry.  I was completely unaware of the impact my words had made, or that just by my presence and support that brought her strength in her time of need.  In that moment, God really revealed to me that all things are worked for the Glory of His kingdom, and meeting this precious family was definitely a gift given to me by God. I love to see when God is at work, it is such an incredible thing!

After the memorial, we celebrated Sara at her favorite restaurant that was out on the lake.  It was such a perfect and beautiful spot not only for Sara but for the Marshall family.  To be able to look out and see the lake and God's creations made us all feel just a little bit closer to Sara. As Hannah, my mom and I were driving home from the day of celebrating Sara, it started to rain.  All I could do was smile.  When I was a little girl my great grandmother told me that when it rains on the day of someones funeral, it means that that sweet person is smiling down from Heaven and looking down on you... I have always held this little tid-bit close to my heart. Ever since my great grandma told me that, every funeral I have been to it has rained.  So, I like to believe that is what the ones I love really are doing in Heaven... smiling down while watching over all of us, and celebrating their new life in Heaven with Jesus!  Thank you Lord for your love and comfort, even through the simple things like rain.

Now that I am back home, things need to be done: homework, studying, and laundry.  On top of all that, my allergies need to get better and the pollen needs to go away because I am miserable.  Well I am off to try and be as productive as I can be for the rest of the day.  I hope everyone is having a restful Sunday!

I will leave you with this picture of Hannah and I after the memorial for Sara that my mom insisted on getting!  We had both been crying before we got to the lunch-- so our faces are a little red and our eyes are a little puffy. I had to remind myself, oh well that is what best friends do together...cry,laugh and comfort each other---so incredibly blessed to have her as my best friend... Love you Han!


Sara's daily motto: "Life is a celebration... so never lose hope and always stay strong because you are never alone!"

No comments:

Post a Comment